Monday, June 1, 2015

He Has ASD it Doesn't Have Him!



Most people ask how do I deal with an autistic child?  I don't deal with him.  He's not a lemon car.  I love him, I pray for him and I help him.  I can't stand someone saying "oh he's autistic".  No, he is a very sweet, very compassionate, a little to caring, active, exciting, loving, adventurous seven year old that has autism.  He may need a little more tweaks to his daily routine then "average" kids but that doesn't mean that he can't function or that he has a crippling defect.  Recently I spent almost 3 hours fighting for him through an IEP meeting where his teachers tried to tell me he is just immature and needs to grow up.  Where does this kind of thinking get him?  It is their responsibility as his mentors for eight hours a day, five days a week to make sure he has the right tools in place to achieve success in his future.  Sometimes I feel like I am the only one on his side.  If I'm not willing to fight for my child who will???  Sure it's hard sometimes to juggle my time between him and his three brothers but with the great support and people who are in my corner I can be sure everyone gets what they need in order to be everything that they can be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment